Innovative Solutions for a Sustainable Blue Economy
UNDP Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean staged the first ever “The Blue Tank” where eight innovators pitched their ideas to remedy some of the most pressing challenges facing the blue economy as part of UNDP’s Barbados & the Eastern Caribbean Initiative. Each innovator had the chance to gain support through catalytic investment, technical assistance and partnership generation from the development agency.
Innovators and Areas of Focus
Eight innovators were shortlisted from a cadre of skilled candidates who responded to the Blue Lab’s Call for Solutions.
- Roland Baldeo – Coral reef restoration using biorock powered by renewable energy
- Kerri-Ann Bovell – Bioplastic creation from starch waste and sargassum
- Angie Brathwaite – Mobile VR cinemas focused on life underwater
- Brian-Lee Chandler & Nikolai Holder (partners) – Biogas made of fish waste and other organic waste
- Simera Crawford – Incentivized and gamified smart recycling system
- Steven Hollingsworth & Stacy Phillips – Coral reef mapping using underwater drones, deep machine learning & AI
- Cassia Patel – Blue seal / badge promoting responsible tourism
- Peter Thompson – Traceable fisheries brand using blockchain