UNDP and the UN
In the subregion, all of our activities are undertaken in close coordination with UN Agencies, Funds and Programmes, operational in Barbados and the OECS.
UNDP, one of the largest field organisations of the UN since 1965, participates actively in the coordination mechanisms of the UN Development System in the region, and supports the work agreed upon by all agencies in the United Nations Multi-Country Sustainable Development Framework for the Caribbean, and articulated by countries through consultative processes of the United Nations System for Barbados and the OECS.
The UN Resident Coordinator is the designated representative of the UN Secretary-General and also the leader of the United Nations Sub-regional Team playing a central role in coordinating the UN activities for Barbados and the OECS.
UN Agencies in Barbados and the OECS
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is one of the programmes in the United Nations family of organizations. In addition to UNDP, the following UN System specialized agencies, programmes and funds are based in Barbados, most at the UN House location. These are:
- United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) Office for the Eastern Caribbean Area
- UN Women Multi-Country Office - Caribbean
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of United Nations
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) Caribbean Sub-regional Office
- The Pan-American Health Organization (PAHO) and the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) are also resident agencies in Barbados, but are located outside of the UN House.
Non-resident agencies and funds which form part of the United Nations family in Barbados and OECS include:
- International Labour Organization (ILO) in Trinidad and Tobago
- Universal Postal Union (UPU) in St. Lucia
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) in Jamaica
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in Jamaica
- United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (UN ECLAC) in Trinidad and Tobago
- United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) in Trinidad and Tobago
Together, these agencies comprise the United Nations Subregional Team (UNST) serving Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean.