Youth-Innovation: A Caribbean Network for Youth Development
Youth-IN is about empowering young people to become agents of change, not to just sit by and receive support but to become actively involved in the development of their own sustainable future. Our mission is based on a 2010 report produced by the CARICOM Youth Commission, ‘Eye on the Future: Investing in YOUTH NOW for Tomorrow’s Community’, to which many young people across the Caribbean contributed. The report shows the challenges of Caribbean youth and the costs of not investing in Youth.
Central to the Youth-In programme of support is the promotion of volunteerism as a strategic approach. The important role of volunteerism in preventing and reducing vulnerability to natural disasters is a priority area identified for Government of Italy assistance, not only within Youth-In programme components, but also through another Government of Italy funded programme, Enhancing Resilience to Reduce Vulnerability in the Caribbean. This parallel project is designed to promote the concepts of civil protection, safer communities and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR).
The UNDP Project Youth Innovation (Youth-IN): A Caribbean Network for Youth Development Project in CARICOM and Member States responds to these challenges with an integrated approach to address the identified needs and to support Caribbean youth aged 15-29.
The project strategically addresses human development by linking environmental, economic and social activiies to optimize youth potential. Designed as an integrated programme the project:
- Supports the engagement of Caribbean youth in culture, community sports for social change, and arts, while facilitating youth networking and access to spaces and initiatives that will allow youth social and economic development;
- Creates new and expands emerging youth entrepreneurial initiatives that support young entrepreneurs to move from ideas to business in areas such as sustainable tourism, cultural industries and environmental management;
- Raises the voices of young people on issues of national and regional governance: the environment, including climate change, growing business opportunities and development that plans for and reduces the risk of natural disasters; and promote the innovative use of Information Communication and Technology (ICT) for human development among Caribbean Youth;
- Developed and continues to support the Youth Think Tank for the Caribbean;
- Advocates for youth volunteerism
Who finances it?
|Donors||Amount of contribution, US$|
|The Government of Italy||$3,576,982.89|
|Fiscal Year||Amount of Disbursement, US$|
- Project Start Date
- December 23 2008
- Estimated end date
- December 31 2013
- Geographic coverage
- Focus Area
- Democratic Governance
- MDG 8: Developing a global partnership for development
- Project Officer
- Paula Hidalgo-Sanchis
- The Government of Italy, UNDP
Youth-INVIEW OUR WEBSITE
Leala Myers: Non-violence advocate, St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Read for Life Literacy Programme, Barbados