The publication summarizes progress of the UN System in Barbados and the OECS towards achieving the outcomes of the UN Development Assistance Framework and charts out the work plan for 2013.
UNDP SRO ISSUES CALL FOR INTERN - 2016/04/22
The United Nations Development Programme for Barbados and the OECS is issuing a Call for Internship to interested under-graduate and post-graduate students who wish to gain invaluable experience in the work of the organisation.
Recognising that the human resource capacity, particularly of young professionals, needs to be harnessed and nurtured for the overall benefit of the people of the sub-region, the UNDP Internship Programme aims to serve following two (2) main purposes:
- Sensitize young people to the work and mandate of the full UN System; and
- Provide meaningful opportunities for young professionals to hone their skills and apply their knowledge in a Development context.
One (1) internship is available in the following area:
- Intern Curator of UN Day Exhibition and Interactive Display
The Intern will sit in the Office of the Resident Coordinator and work with the UN Coordination Analyst, who will be curating the UN Day exhibition.
* * * Deadline for applications is April 29th, 2016, 11:59 PM * * *
The UNDP Internship Programme offers an outstanding under-graduate or graduate-level student the opportunity to acquire direct exposure to UNDP's work. It is designed to complement development-oriented studies with practical experience in various aspects of multilateral technical cooperation.
Through internships, UNDP Barbados and the OECS will:
- Provide a framework by which graduate and post-graduate students from diverse academic backgrounds will be assigned a specific assignment in keeping with the intern’s educational experience, interest and delivery requirements of the office
- Sensitize interns to the mandate and practical operations of UNDP
- Place innovative and emerging development perspectives and skills at the disposal of the UNDP sub-regional office
Applicants must be enrolled in a degree programme and should fit one of the following streams:
- Post graduate student requiring practical experience in a development area;
- Final year undergraduate student seeking practical experience prior to entering graduate school;
- Final year undergraduate/graduate student interested in pursuing a career in Development
Applicants must also have a demonstrable interest in the field of Development; and have a profound respect for the principles of the United Nations Charter.
The Internship programme is full-time for a duration specified in the Terms of Reference documents (see above internship links), and interns are expected to work five days per week (9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Mondays to Thursdays and 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Fridays) under the supervision of UN Coordination Analyst.
Interested persons are invited to apply by sending a completed UN Internship Application Form accompanied by a two (2) page (maximum) Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a 500 word essay outlining their interest in Development and what they intend to gain from the Internship experience to email@example.com.
Once again, the deadline for Internship applications is no later than Friday, April 29th, 2016, 11:59 PM.
Interns are not financially remunerated by the United Nations and that the costs and arrangements for travel, visas, accommodation and living expenses are the responsibilities of interns or their sponsoring institutions. The United Nations accepts no responsibility for the medical insurance of the intern or for the costs arising from accidents and illness incurred during an internship. Applicants for internship must show proof of valid medical insurance coverage and provide a medical certificate of good health. The OUNRC does not pay for internships and the costs associated with the latter must be borne by the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or by the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his or her own arrangements for travel, accommodation etc.