Are you enthusiastic and committed to development in Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean and interested in a career within the UN system? If so, UNDP is keen to hear from you.
Please note that for jobs listed here, you must click on the actual Job Title (which is a link) and follow the application process outlined in solicitation documents. Any emails shown on this page are for queries and comments only.
The UNDP Internship Programme offers an outstanding under-graduate or graduate-level student the opportunity to acquire direct exposure to UNDP's work. It is designed to complement development-oriented studies with practical experience in various aspects of multilateral technical cooperation.
Terms of Reference
The Internship Programme is not currently accepting applications.
Through internships, UNDP Barbados and the OECS will:
- Provide a framework by which graduate and post-graduate students from diverse academic backgrounds will be assigned a specific assignment in keeping with the intern’s educational experience, interest and delivery requirements of the office
- Sensitize interns to the mandate and practical operations of UNDP
- Place innovative and emerging development perspectives and skills at the disposal of the UNDP sub-regional office
To qualify for the UNDP Barbados and the OECS Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
Applicants must be enrolled in a degree programme and should fit one of the following streams:
- Post graduate student requiring practical experience in a development area;
- Applicant must have demonstrable interest in the field of development;
- Respect for the principles of the United Nations Charter and the UNDP Statement of Purpose.
- Excellent computer knowledge (Microsoft applications)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Applicants should also possess the following competencies:
- Technical – Possesses excellent analytical skills and ability to synthesize concepts and material into clear and concise thoughts (see also Communication below)
- Managing resources – Organizes and manages information to achieve defined goals and optimum results. Has the ability to work independently
- Communication – Effectively presents thoughts and ideas, including complex technical concepts, in a clear, concise and readily understood manner, both verbally and in writing. Listens to and acknowledges others' perspectives and views
- Flexibility - Works effectively on multiple assignments simultaneously and adapts to changing demands and circumstances
- Interpersonal skills – Able to work well in a team environment
The Internship Programme is full-time for a duration specified in the Terms of Reference documents (see above TOR links; if no links are available, the internship programme is not currently accepting applications), and interns are expected to work five days per week (8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Mondays to Thursdays, and 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Fridays).
Interested persons are invited to apply by sending a completed UN Internship Application Form accompanied by a two (2) page (maximum) Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a 500 word essay outlining their interest in Development and what they intend to gain from the Internship experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of your email should mention the internship title mentioned in the TOR.
CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES UNIT
Phone: +1 246 467 6017